What is a faith geek?
- faith – firm belief in something for which there is no proof…especially: a system of religious beliefs
- geek – an enthusiast or expert
- So a faith geek is an enthusiast or expert of a system of religious beliefs (for which there is no proof).
Take this quiz to see if you’re a faith geek.
1. You’re in the religion section of Barnes & Noble and overhear a conversation about the difference between the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed. You:
- a. Wonder how you ended up in this part of the store and hurry on to another section.
- b. Listen for a few minutes and then continue on.
- c. Stay and listen to the whole conversation.
- d. Join in the conversation and then check the shelves for any books about the creeds.
2. Your personal library of books contains the following:
- a. No books about religion or theology.
- b. A few books about religion or theology.
- c. A number of religious and theological books that I had to purchase for courses and workshops.
- d. Enough religious and theological books that I could probably start my own spiritual/theological library.
3. You are getting dressed in the morning. Your attire includes:
- a. Jeans and a t-shirt
- b. A t-shirt with a message that could be interpreted as spiritual.
- c. A clergy collar.
- d. A labyrinth necklace.
4. PBS has just announced a new series called God in America. Your reaction is:
- a. I don’t think I’ll watch it.
- b. I won’t watch it but I might ask friends who watched it what it was about.
- c. I will definitely watch it.
- d. I will watch it and will be looking for a study guide for it so we can discuss it in my church.
5. Your collection of books includes:
- a. One Bible
- b. Three Bibles
- c. Three or more Bibles and at least one book on spiritual practices.
- d. Three or more Bibles, at least one book on spiritual practices, and your denomination’s book of order.
6. In terms of your Facebook habits:
- a. What’s Facebook?
- b. I have a few Facebook friends from my church.
- c. Most of my Facebook friends are church related.
- d. Most of my Facebook friends are church related and I “like” several well known religious speakers/authors.
7. My church attendance is:
- a. sporadic or non-existent.
- b. I am a Chreaster (attends on Christmas and Easter).
- c. I am there every week.
- d. I have a key to my church.
8. Here is what I know about denominations:
- a. There are different denominations in the church.
- b. I know which denomination I’m in.
- c. I have a pretty good handle on the mainline denominations.
- d. I have a good knowledge about the different denominations and enjoy discussing the differences with other people.
9. In terms of Bible or adult study groups:
- a. I have never been in a study group.
- b. I have been in a study group a few times.
- c. I regularly attend a study group.
- d. I lead a study group.
10. My house is decorated with:
- a. Nothing religious or Biblical.
- b. One or two religious or Biblical objects.
- c. Lots of religious or Biblical objects.
- d. I have my own sacred space in my house.
Give yourself :
- 1 point for every “a”
- 2 points for every “b”
- 3 points for every “c”
- 4 points for every “d”
- 0-10 points – You are definitely not a faith geek and will probably never be one.
- 11-20 – You are not a faith geek but you have a small potential to become one.
- 21-30 – You are a borderline faith geek.
- 31-40 – You are definitely a faith geek.